Friday, October 5, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

So I did something totally amazing and out of character for me-- two somethings actually. My Dad gave me a bunch of tomatoes, and I didn't want to see them go to waste. Around here fresh produce doesn't seem to last long, and that's not because we eat it. I didn't see the story of these tomatoes ending any differently since we now have a 3 week old baby in our house, and anything that takes more effort than pushing some buttons on a microwave has been out of the question as far as food goes.

Well needing to use tomatoes, my Mom's suggestion to make things and freeze them, the desire to attempt making my own spaghetti sauce and an unexplained burst of will and energy led me to doing something extraordinary-- in my book at least. Not only did I make sauce with fresh tomatoes and onions, I made a couple batches. And not only did I make a couple batches I-- are you ready for it-- split the batches and froze them!
It was amazing!

So here is my spaghetti sauce recipe:

Dice 1 and a half onions-- I used white onions.

Put the onions in a pot with 4 tablespoons of butter.

Cook the onions in the butter until they are transparent.

I then added 4-5 tomatoes diced.

Then came 5 cans of tomato sauce. I think they were the 15 oz size.

I stirred everything together and added some seasonings.

I added, to taste:

Garlic powder
Italian seasonings
Parsley
Salt and pepper

I cooked it for a good hour, let it cool, split it equally into good serving sizes and stuck it in the freezer.

My husband loved it so much he excitedly licked the pan after I had split it all up.


No comments:

Post a Comment