Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving this year I offered to make the mashed potatoes,- an annual for me- the yams and an eggnog cake. Everything turned out yummy so I thought I'd share my recipe's here.

Mashed Potatoes

Peel 4 to 6 medium to large potatoes. Then cut into four sections. Place them in a pot and cover with water. Add salt.

Take a head of cauliflower and cut it into for sections. Place it in a pot and cover with water. Add salt

For both potatoes and cauliflower:
Bring the water to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes pierce with a fork to see if they are tender. If so strain water and place potatoes and cauliflower together in a bowl.

Add 1/2 cup of butter and mash. Then add milk and chicken broth- or water or all milk- until it reaches desired consistency.

*Instead of milk I used heavy whipping cream. It was a special occasion after all.

Yams

This year I didn't use the canned yams. I was a little nervous but they ended up being really good.

Peel 4 to 8 medium to large yams. Cut too desired size. Place in a pot and cover with water. Add salt and a tablespoon of sugar or sweetener. Bring to a boil then turn heat to medium and let cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes pierce with a fork to see if they are tender. If so strain water and place yams in a casserole dish.

Sprinkle brown sugar on top and add some pats of butter. Bake at 350 degrees until butter is melted. Top with marshmallows and place back in the oven, uncovered, until tops of marshmallows are brown.

Eggnog Cake

Take a yellow cake mix and follow the mixing directions on the box, except replace the water with eggnog. Add some nutmeg and cinnamon to taste. Bake as box directs.

Frosting

1/2 cup of cream cheese
1/2 cup of eggnog
1/2 cup of butter
1 tablespoon of vanilla
2 and 3/4 cups of powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients together. If frosting is not thick enough add more powdered sugar.

*I made a layered circle cake, but I think I'll try it again and bake it as a sheet cake and serve the frosting on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment